SubscribeSubscribe to this blog's feed
How do I involve my campus in advocacy?
Welcome back to campus! I had an excellent conversation today with Heather from Creighton University in Omaha Nebraska. She has teamed up with an organization called The Campus Kitchen Project to raise awareness about nutrition and hunger in the surrounding community. As part of Creighton's direct service efforts, they also want to discuss the importance of advocacy Heather was asked to organize two workshops about the farm bill and advocacy.
We came up with a few ideas for workshop activities:
- Facilitate a mock meeting with a member of Congress
- Direct Service and Advocacy Activity - Examines the root causes of hunger and what we are doing to solve the problems.
- Overview of the legislative process - PDF link - Discuss the timing of our advocacy efforts.
- Create a YouTube video of students making phone calls to their members of Congress about farm bill reform
- Link to other campus resources
Heather is reaching out to the service learning chairs of the Greek Organizations on campus with hopes that the message with expand among these groups. Way to go, Heather!
Are you involved with any upcoming advocacy events on your campus? Do you have any other ideas for Heather?
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference How do I involve my campus in advocacy?: