URGENT Action Needed! The Farm Bill is Nearing Final Passage. Call Congress by FRIDAY at NOON.
Please call your representative and senators by noon Eastern time Friday, April 25, at 1-800-826-3688.
Tell them we must pass a new farm bill now, and must not lose the nutrition increases and food aid changes already passed. At a time of sharply rising food prices, these increases are especially critical. Modest commodity reform could pay for these increases without resorting to tax increases or other cuts.
Read the talking points below.
[Note: This toll-free number will connect you to the Capitol switchboard, where you will ask to be connected to your representative's office in order to leave your message. Unsure who your members of Congress are? Click Here ]
MESSAGE TO CONGRESS:
In this time of rising food prices, your statement of support for nutrition funding in the farm bill is especially critical! Modest reforms to make commodity programs more equitable could provide funds without risking a presidential veto. Please show your support for finishing the farm bill with the strongest nutrition title to help make great strides against hunger and poverty.
* Over 35 million Americans--including more that 12 million children--struggle to put food on the table.
* With skyrocketing food prices, food stamp households need assistance now more than ever.
* Failure to pass a new farm bill or extension of the current bill would mean that millions of low-income people will miss out on food stamp benefit increases on offer under the current conference proposals.
* Modest reform of commodity programs could produce savings to redirect to low-income families through the food stamp program.
* The Congress will miss a huge opportunity if they pass this Farm Bill without addressing the inefficiencies of our current food aid program. The local and regional purchase pilot program passed by the Senate should be retained in the final bill.
CALLS NEED TO BE COMPLETED BY: 12 noon (EST), April 25.
More background info is in the comment section. If you called, let us know how it went and encourage others to do the same in the comments!
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference URGENT Action Needed! The Farm Bill is Nearing Final Passage. Call Congress by FRIDAY at NOON.:
Get updates on issues and actions to take on behalf of hungry people.