Call Congress Today and Protect Foreign Assistance for Hungry People
Today, anti-hunger activists from across the United States are mobilizing for a national call-in day. Bread for the World will unite with other organizations to ensure that the phones of Congress ring all day with a single, unified message: Protect funding for lifesaving poverty-focused foreign assistance.
Congress is making budget decisions right now that will impact millions of lives around the world. One of those decisions has to do with the amount of funding our government devotes to programs that alleviate poverty and hunger in developing countries. Even though this funding accounts for less than 1 percent of the federal budget, it is in extreme danger.
The budget deal members of Congress passed in August requires limits to the overall amount Congress can spend. For the first time, international assistance—which includes poverty-focused foreign assistance—must compete with defense, homeland security, and other national security accounts to pay for these lifesaving programs. That means aid to small farmers or nutrition programs for mothers and children are competing with military spending for federal dollars in the fiscal year 2012 budget.
Last week, the Senate Appropriations Committee voted on this funding and supported much higher levels than the House. As the appropriations bills go to the Senate floor, we need your voice to defend the higher Senate numbers so that lifesaving funding can continue to reach the people who need it most.
Call Congress today. Urge your U.S. representative and your U.S. senators to support the higher Senate numbers in the final appropriations bill for poverty-focused development assistance. Use our toll-free number to call the Capitol switchboard today: 1-800-826-3688. Ask for your member of Congress and your senators. Please make your call by Monday at 5 p.m. EST.
Thank you for your voice—we need every one of you!
Monica Mills is director of government relations at Bread for the World.
+PLUS! Help Spread the Word!
Expand this message by posting an update on Facebook or Twitter. Here are some sample posts that you can copy and paste:
- URGENT: We need your help TODAY! Congress will soon vote on whether or not to fund lifesaving poverty-focused foreign assistance. In a time of such deep need, Congress must support the most vulnerable. Please call your member of Congress now at 1-800-826-3688. http://ow.ly/6EUFv
- Hungry people need your help! Tell your member of Congress to support poverty-focused foreign assistance in the final appropriations bill. Call today! 1-800-826-3688. http://ow.ly/6EUFv
- Join other hunger activists in taking action today! A crucial vote in Congress on the final appropriations bill will happen soon. Call your member of Congress and tell them to support poverty-focused foreign assistance now! 1-800-826-3688. http://ow.ly/6EUFv
- URGENT! Call Congress today to keep lifesaving foreign assistance in the federal budget: 1-800-826-3688 http://ow.ly/6EUKc #cutscostlives
- Hungry people need your help! Call Congress and tell them to keep poverty-focused aid in the final appropriations bill. 1-800-826-3688 http://ow.ly/6EUKc #cutscostlives
Posted by Bread on September 26, 2011 in Advocacy, Bible on Hunger, Global Hunger, Hunger and the U.S. Budget, Hunger in the News, Solutions to U.S. Poverty, U.S. Hunger / Comments (1) / TrackBack (0)
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Call Congress Today and Protect Foreign Assistance for Hungry People:
Get updates on issues and actions to take on behalf of hungry people.