Congress is Waiting to Hear From You
By Eric Mitchell
Our elected leaders are waiting to see the public's reaction to the sequester, the series of automatic budget cuts that were triggered on Friday. We must express our outrage over these across-the-board cuts and the negative impact they will have on hungry and poor people.
It will take time for the nation to feel the full effects of the cuts. But if public opposition isn’t forceful enough and Congress doesn’t act soon, we will see
- 600,000 new mothers and children lose WIC nutrition benefits;
- 2.1 million people around the world lose some or all access to lifesaving food aid;
- Millions of hungry people in the United States and around the world cut off from vital services that help them put food on the table.
This is unacceptable! Please call today. To learn more, see Bread's new fact sheet about the consequences of sequestration. Don't let Congress think that sequestration is something we can live with.
We have a short window of opportunity. Your senators and representative need to feel pressure to replace the sequester with a balanced plan that protects programs that help lift people out of poverty. Your phone calls create that pressure. Don't let these cuts become the new normal!
- Call your U.S. senators and your U.S. representative toll-free at 800-826-3688.
- Say: "I'm Sonora from (town). The sequester (automatic cuts) will hurt millions of hungry and poor people. I want my senator/representative to replace the sequester with a balanced plan that includes revenue and protects programs for hungry and poor people." (See our sequestration fact sheet for more talking points.)
- Thank the office.
As we are reminded in Proverbs, we must "speak up, judge righteously, champion the poor and the needy." Please act today.Eric Mitchell is director of government relations at Bread for the World.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Congress is Waiting to Hear From You: